When is a Restricted Operator’s Certificate Required?

Red lorry on a dual carriageway

Those who operate in the transportation industry all face the same issue: understanding which operator license is most suitable for their business. With so many license types available, there can often be confusion about what is necessary to stay compliant with rules and regulations. This is why you might be wondering if you require a Restricted Operator’s Licence.

Restricted Operator’s Licence: what is it?
A Restricted Operator’s Licence (ROL) makes it possible for the licence holder to transport their own goods across the United Kingdom and the European Union. This accounts for the goods they own, the products they manufacture, and the equipment they hire.

The ‘restriction’ of the ROL is that drivers are not allowed to carry other people’s goods, whether abroad or in the UK. It is also prohibited for the licence holder to carry goods that are intended for reward or hire.

A benefit of a ROL, and among the main reasons why those in the transportation trade opt for one, is that applying for it is relatively easy. A qualified Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) transport manager is not required for this licence, which is why small
businesses typically go with a ROL.

When do you need a Restricted Operator’s Licence?
Do you operate any vehicles that weigh above 3,500 kilograms? If these are used for business or trade reasons, you will need a Restricted Operator’s Licence to use them to carry your own goods. This isn’t just for international journeys, but also when you are transporting goods within the UK.

If you need to transport goods that are not your own or are for reward or hire, you will have to instead apply for a Standard National Licence or Standard International Licence. These licence options extend your rights nationally or internationally, respectively.

What are the requirements for a Restricted Operator’s Licence?
Although the requirements are not as stringent as other applicable licences, there are still certain elements you need to tick off the list before you are approved for a Restricted Operator’s Licence. The following criteria must be covered:

– The vehicle operator has to be of good repute, to the point they are fit to hold a ROL.
– Ensure they are capable of obeying all licencing rules and regulations.
– Demonstrate the business is in sufficient shape – from a financial and resources standpoint – to continue running and be able to maintain a vehicle fleet.
– Possess suitable facilities – or have arrangements in place – to maintain their vehicles.
– A designated operating centre that is used to safely store their vehicles when not in operation.

Both you and your employees require a full understanding of all of the rules, especially when it comes to the robust systems that have to be put in place. Failure to obey every regulation could cause your licence to be the subject of regulatory action.

Do you need any help with your application for a Restricted Operator’s Licence? Get in touch with Leafe’s Logistics for expert advice and guidance.

Share this:
Transport Manager checking lorry

Top Tips for Passing Your Operator’s Licence Compliance Audit in the UK

Gaining and maintaining an operator’s licence is crucial for any transport business in the UK. Compliance audits are a key …

Read More
Man signing a document

How to Appeal a Refused HGV Operator’s Licence Application: A Comprehensive Guide

Applying for an HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle) operator’s licence in the UK is a rigorous process, reflecting the critical role …

Read More

Key Trends Shaping the Transportation Sector in 2024

As the year 2024 approaches, the transportation and logistics industry are on the cusp of a major transformation driven by …

Read More